In the aftermath of the Uvalde tragedy, the dad of a 10-year-old Florida kid arrested for threatening to shoot up his school believes an exuberant sheriff wrongfully “crucified” his son for political gain.
Dereck Marquez slammed local cops after his fifth-grade son, Daniel, was arrested on May 28 for reportedly threatening to carry out a mass shooting at Patriot Elementary School in Cape Coral.
He absolutely vilified his kid since the sheriff wanted his own 15 minutes of fame after the Uvalde tragedy, Marquez said, alluding to last month’s school massacre in Texas and how his son was detained four days later.
He tried to exploit the incident for political benefit, and Marquez believes that’s terrible. As a grownup who should completely understand, that’s a horrible thing to do.
Marquez, a 35-year-old US Army veteran who now works as a real estate agent, feels Lee County Sheriff Lee Marceno took advantage of the chance to get his own face in front of cameras and talk to the press at channels all over the world.
Marquez explained that the sheriff saw a fresh narrative and saw the opportunity to use his son to go on the news as well. He took it and ran with it the second he recognised there could be a link or anything there.
Marceno, who touts himself as “Florida’s Law and Order Sheriff,” sent a statement on Friday defending his conduct.
As sheriff, his main focus has been the peace and protection of the kids and schools in Lee County, he stated. They respond swiftly to any and all attacks against the children or institutions.
Lee County deputies and detectives uphold the law without “fear or favour,” according to Marceno.
The sheriff stated that as they usually do, these highly skilled individuals performed a detailed and thorough investigation that culminated in this arrest.
In late May, Marceno’s office shared a video on Facebook depicting Daniel, who was tied and dressed in blue Crocs and a camouflage jacket. Marceno called the 4-foot-11, 103-pound youngster a “delinquent” at the time, citing the killing in Uvalde four days before.
5th Grade Student Arrested for Written Threat “This student’s behavior is sickening, especially after the recent tragedy in Uvalde, Texas,” stated Sheriff Carmine Marceno. “Making sure our children are safe is paramount. We will have law and order in our schools! My team didn’t hesitate one second…NOT ONE SECOND, to investigate this threat.” On Saturday, May 28, 2022, the Lee County Sheriff’s Office learned of a threatening text message sent by a fifth grade student at Patriot Elementary School in Cape Coral. The School Threat Enforcement Team was immediately notified and began analytical research. Due to the nature of the incident, the Youth Services Criminal Investigations Division assumed the case. Detectives interviewed the suspect, Daniel Issac Marquez (DOB 10/01/2011), and developed probable cause for his arrest. Daniel Issac Marquez was charged with Making a Written Threat to Conduct a Mass Shooting. “Right now is not the time to act like a little delinquent. It’s not funny. This child made a fake threat, and now he’s experiencing real consequences,” stated Sheriff Carmine Marceno.Posted by Lee County Sheriff’s Office on Saturday, 28 May 2022
It’s not humorous, Marceno stated in a statement on May 28. This kid made a bogus warning, and now he’s paying the price.
Daniel reportedly texted a buddy that he “scammed” another acquaintance out of a huge quantity of money, along with a photo claiming to be the supposed cash but was actually a Google stock image. According to an arrest record, Daniel then stated that he “purchased this” along with another Google picture of “four AR like weapons.”
“Get ready for water day,” Daniel supposedly said in his farewell message to his pal, referring to an impending school-sponsored event in which pupils partake in aquatic activities.
The supposed danger was a “complete fiction,” according to Letitia Kim, head of the legal network at the Foundation Against Intolerance and Racism, a New York-based nonprofit group that supports Marquez and Daniel.
Kim stated the cops on the location were aware that this was a Google stock photograph. They recognised it wasn’t a picture Daniel had taken himself of weaponry in his custody. And if they had done any inquiry, such as entering the residence, they would have discovered that Daniel had no access to any type of firearm.
Meanwhile, Daniel’s dad objected to Marceno releasing footage of his son’s face before his initial appearance before a court on a felony charge of making a written threat to commit a mass massacre.
Daniel, an honour roll student and three-year Boy Scout who had never been in problems before his arrest, still doesn’t comprehend “why he got locked up for two images” given to a buddy, as per Marquez.
Marquez thinks Daniel, whose school year finished last week, was traumatised by his nearly three weeks in a juvenile detention centre. As per his father, he will begin sixth grade at a different school in the autumn and will most likely shortly begin seeing a counsellor.
Marquez added the whole thing was tough for him. It’s not a pleasant experience for a youngster.
The Boy Scouts of America have also suspended Daniel following his widely publicised detention, according to Marquez.
He explained, they’re still waiting to see what the state does.
Marquez has also faced backlash as a result of Daniel’s arrest, including a stranger’s email that he shared on Facebook.
The note remarked that his son is a threat. Perhaps he doesn’t realise the seriousness of the problem since he had a bad childhood. It is not a political tactic; his kid made threats and must face the consequences.
Prosecutors did not bring accusations against Daniel at his hearing, which was delayed for July 11, according to his lawyer, Douglas Molloy. Kim said he was waiting to hear whether prosecutors would pursue the matter against him.
Kim stated on Friday that they would surely request that this entire thing be abandoned since there is no foundation for any allegations.
FAIR’s president, Bion Bartning, said there was no reason for the postponement on Monday.
“Bartning remarked on Monday that they didn’t pursue charges, but they also didn’t abandon the case, which implies they still don’t have to turn up proof for their fraudulent accusations. This unfairly places a harmless 10-year-old youngster under ‘house arrest,’ and his family in turmoil.
Marquez claimed his son’s detention resulted in his picture being “plastered all over social media” ahead of Monday’s brief court appearance.
In Marquez’s words, “my son was wrongfully charged, and he is absolutely innocent. My son could have been your son, or your daughter. Think about how you’d feel.”
Watch for more: https://youtu.be/idDmN3PK7Qc