After saving the life of a puppy, a postal worker became an unlikely hero.
On Sept. 22, owners Kelsey and Aaron Proctor posted a touching tribute to the postal worker on Facebook, explaining what had transpired and asking friends to assist them in locating the woman. They recognized her as Holle Keene Prigmore within hours.
Wow!!!! That was fast. Thank you so much, Holle' Keene Prigmore!!!! We are so thankful! Haralson County/Buchanan…Posted by Kelsey Proctor on Friday, 22 September 2023
According to the Proctors’ post, Prigmore was making a delivery at their Georgia home when she noticed Ginger, the couple’s dog, in distress. The beagle had been bitten by a copperhead snake, so Prigmore took her to the vet to have the bite examined.
Because the Proctors were not home at the time, Prigmore left a message on their doorbell camera informing them that their dog had been bitten and that she was transporting the animal to the veterinarian. She also left a message on her phone that said “little beagle bit by copperhead,” just in case.
“This sweet woman took our girl to the vet and left us a note on her phone in our camera to see,” the Proctors stated in their post. “From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank her.” Thankfully, Ginger is going to be okay, and I truly believe it’s because of this woman.”
The news spread swiftly, and Prigmore was recognized as the postal worker who had saved the day. “It’s my absolute pleasure to help,” she said in response to the proctors’ message. Ginger is a baby doll.”
Prigmore would regularly spot Ginger by the Proctors’ mailbox, seeking a treat when Kelsey delivered their mail.
On September 23, the Proctors provided an update on their puppy’s condition following the snake bite.
Ginger update.. She is doing well. She is in pain. Her back left leg/paw is swollen and she is afraid to put pressure on…Posted by Kelsey Proctor on Saturday, 23 September 2023
‘Update on Ginger… She’s doing fine,’ they said, accompanied by two images of the beagle, who walked with her left hind paw up. ‘She is in discomfort. Her back left leg or paw is enlarged, and she is terrified of putting weight on it. She’s been sleeping, getting plenty of love, and hiding under some blankets.’
The Proctors said that they are extremely grateful for the abundance of love for Ginger and her sweet friend Holle, who were there for her in her time of need.
Prigmore left a heart emoji comment on the post.
According to reporter Kaitlyn Ross, Prigmore placed Ginger into her mail truck to send her to an emergency doctor, and she even snapped a picture of the snake to be certain she was providing the vet the right details.
According to Live Science, the copperhead who bit Ginger is a poisonous snake that injects hemotoxic venom into its victims. While a bite is “very rarely fatal to humans,” the venom can have far-reaching consequences for canines.
Copperhead snake bites create tissue damage in the area around the bite, and emergency veterinary treatment is required for the dog’s life, according to Ethos veterinary health.