Noah Woods didn’t panic when he awoke one night to find his Georgia home on fire, even as flames lashed through his bedroom and smoke filled the air. he didn’t panic at all. Instead, he calmly got out of bed, grabbed his sister and got out through an open window, which was the only available exit.
Because of his extraordinary deed, Noah was named an honorary firefighter and received a rare lifesavers award for his brave actions.
A very special day today as BCFD honored our little hero Noah Woods who recently saved his family from a house fire….Posted by Bartow County Fire & Emergency Services on Friday, 14 February 2020
Noah… is 5 years old. But once out of the house and safe with his 2-year-old sister, Noah realized he was not done. He ran back into his burning home, got the family dog and pulled it to safety. He then ran to the neighboring home of his uncle and, together, they were able to get the remaining six family members safely out of the house and contact the county’s fire department.
Bartow County fire officials were amazed at the young boy’s determination to get everyone out of the burning home.
Says Bartow County Fire Department Chief Dwayne Jamison: “We’ve seen children alert their families before. But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this… that’s pretty extraordinary.”
It was later determined that the fire started from an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah’s bedroom. Says Noah’s grandfather, David Woods, who was one of the family members sleeping inside the home when the blaze started: “By the grace of God, all of our loved ones were able to get out of our home. If it wasn’t for Noah, we may not be here today.”
Aside from being named an honorary fireman and earning the lifesavers award, Noah also received a congratulatory letter from Georgia governor Brian Kemp. That’s some pretty heavy-duty stuff, even for a 5-year-old.